Sunday, July 15, 2007

RIP little birdies

On Friday our family experienced a little nature crisis. We were out doing some yard work and my husband pulled down a dead limb from one of our trees. He soon noticed a baby bird in the grass. And when I say baby, I mean a very, very new baby. It didn't even have fuzz on it. We soon saw 3 others in the grass. So here we had this little family of birds and had no idea what to do with them. We just couldn't leave them there helpless, especially when there is a new cat roaming the neighborhood. To find out what we should do, I came inside and did what everyone else in the free world does, I googled it. We found out what would give them the best chance was to nail a container into the tree near the branch it came from, line it with paper towels and hope for the momma bird to return. If the momma does not return, you should call a conservationist to have them come get the birds. By Saturday morning we had seen no sign of said mother bird, so we looked up the number and called. They wanted us to take pictures of the babies to send to them. Ok...this project is turning into a little more than I thought. So we took the pictures, emailed them, and waited for a call. We found out they were an invasive species and they would not take them, but they gave us another option. We could give them dog food moistened in water...every 30 minutes...from 8 am to 6 pm. Now this is really getting out of hand! I know Phil felt guilty about displacing the babies, but this is just not a project we can take on right now. This is the point I REALLY started praying for that mommy bird to come feed them, because I just couldn't bear the thought of them starving to death. Finally, on Saturday a bird came and started feeding them. Oh hallelujah! We felt good and we had saved the baby birds! I was feeling very Dora the Explorer until, as you can see from the title of this post, something somewhere went very wrong. I'm not sure what happened, but when I went to check on them this afternoon...well, we'll say it wasn't good. I went out later with Gibson and he kept asking to go see them. Sad. I guess we can rest knowing we did everything we could. But Dora would be muy dissapointed-o (and yes, that is the correct spanish in case you're wondering).

1 comment:

Diane said...

Pretty impressive that you went to such effort. Sorry that it didn't work out for the poor little birdies.