Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Hodge Podge

I'm sitting here typing this half asleep...and it is only 3:30 in the afternoon. It has been a long day, well actually a long couple of weeks. We have been incredibly busy and the kids have just been wild. This morning Phil had surgery and we had to leave for the hospital at 5:30. He had a tonsillectomy and uvulectomy. He is sleeping a lot while I push the liquids like a crack dealer. He is doing well, although the doctor said it will be the most painful on day 2 or 3. That is not the best of news for my darling. We won't get out much for the next week or two and I'm sure by the end of it we will all be a little stir crazy. Hopefully he will start to feel better in a few days and we will actually have some good quality family time. We have certainly needed it.
In other news, I have been wanting to do a detailed book review from my Fall reading list but I just haven't been able to muster it up. So I'm going to give a really quick run-down so far. I read "Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers and it is just fantastic. I had heard rave reviews and it lived up to, or even surpassed them all. I could hardly put it down (sorry family!). Not only was it a beautiful story, but I really learned a lot and it has challenged me in the way that I love and allow myself to be loved. I also read "Creative Correction" by Lisa Whelchel. It was good. I read it on the side since you could just kind of go chapter by chapter. I think a lot of the ideas are for children a bit older than mine, but they are good things to remember. It had some creative ideas for discipline and shaping your child, and also a few things thrown in there I didn't really agree with. I would say it wasn't earth-shattering for me, but it was still really good. I can see myself pulling it out when we have a discipline issue down the road. I also read two books not on my list. I read "It's All About Him" by Denise Jackson (wife of country singer Alan Jackson). It was a good, quick read. I mean, she's not the next big thing as far as authors go, but it was fun to read all about their story and the way God has transformed their lives, marriage, and family. The last book I read was "Saving Levi" by Lisa Misraje Bentley. It was a story of an orphan baby found in China who was burned severely. They ended up adopting him and she just wanted to tell his story. God orchestrated some amazing things and brought a world of people together. It is really short, I read it in one day in two small sittings, but it was a really neat story.
OK, sorry for the quick rattling off of details. I just wanted to update, but didn't have a lot of time and energy to do so. Thanks for all the prayers people have prayed for my husband and our family today. Please keep it up as we pray for a quick recovery!

No comments: