Tuesday, September 16, 2008

we're the weird ones

Ike came rollin' in on Sunday. Crazy, crazy winds. I have never seen winds like this! Debris was falling everywhere, and neighbors' trees were snapping in half. It was wild. I am one of the weird people that likes dramatic weather. Not for people to get hurt, or things to get damaged...but I get excited about storms, blizzards, etc. Anyway! Our power went out around 1pm on Sunday afternoon. We just got it back this evening. It was a long haul, over 50 hrs. It really wasn't that bad though. We made it work, and had so much good quality time together. The kids played like crazy, with no morning PBS shows to help. We got to spend time with Phil since his office didn't have power. We spent our evenings by candlelight, talking about silly things...and deep things. I couldn't help but think about our baby and the people of Ethiopia. They regularly have power outages to conserve energy and water. They are tough people! So I sat in the dark and thought of our sweet baby in my arms.
The downside was that we lost a lot of the food in our fridge. We were able to salvage the expensive stuff in the freezer by taking it to a friend's house, and I was so thankful for that. Our next grocery trip will be a pricey one! But my fridge desperately needed to be cleaned out, and it might not have gotten done otherwise!
I am so thankful for power tonight. But mostly, I am thankful for my family. I wouldn't want to be stranded with anyone else!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Glad everyone is safe! Marisa was telling me about your crazy weather the other day.