Thursday, February 26, 2009

great recipe

I made these no-bake cookies tonight, and they were delicious! They are so fast to throw together with things you usually have on hand. A great thing about them is that unlike most other no-bakes, they don't have peanut butter. So if you have someone in your life with a peanut allergy, you can still whip these babies up! Since I have discovered that nuts trigger headaches for me, I'm trying to steer clear when I can. My other fave part about these is that you can health them up a little and they still taste great. My kids are gobbling them up! I am going to list the recipe below as is, and then list below that the substitutions I made.

2 cups white sugar
3/4 cup butter
2/3 cup milk
1 3.9 ounce package instant pudding mix (any flavor! chocolate, vanilla, butterscotch, lemon, etc. I like that you could make a different flavor any time )
3 3/4 cups quick cooking oats
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

-I used 1.5 cups of sugar instead of the full 2. The cookies were plenty sweet!
-I used the Smart Balance 50/50 butter blend. I think next time I will just use the regular light Smart Balance and see how they do.
-I used skim milk
-I used sugar-free pudding mixes


DIRECTIONS
Mix together the sugar, butter or margarine and the milk in a large pot and bring to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes.
Turn off heat and add in the pudding, oats and vanilla. Mix well and let stand for 5 minutes.
Drop by spoonfuls onto wax paper.


The funny part about the pudding mixes is that I didn't have one of the 3.9 oz. packages, I just had the little 1 oz. packs. But...they were all a different flavor. So my cookies had a butterscotch, a vanilla, and a chocolate in them. Oh they were tasty though! But I am excited to try them as all one flavor. Hope you enjoy!

1 comment:

Stacie@HobbitDoor said...

These sound yummy! I'm looking forward to trying them!