Friday, July 30, 2010

a stupidly long story about mice

So I'm not sure if it's every properly been documented here...but I'm afraid of mice. Like, I'll totally cry about them I hate them so much. I'm not sure why, and I can't really find the root of this fear, yet there she is. The thing is I grew up in the country in Indiana, surrounded by fields, therefore field mice were commonplace. Every winter we'd have a mouse (or a family sometimes, lucky us!) so you think I'd be just fine seeing the lil' creatures run about. Nope.
I think it all resurfaced in college when I had a few unfortunate run-ins. We had a mouse that winter in our unit. You know, a unit of 8 girls? And you can imagine our horror when one of our slightly (OK really) eccentric suite mates built a trap out of a piece of cardboard, peanut butter, and a bucket. Her theory was that the mouse would desire the peanut butter so much that he'd walk the plank, fall into the bucket, and drown. Awesome. I get shivers just thinking about it. Well, I don't really remember how we got rid of him but I do know he taunted us for quite sometime. Especially because my roommate wasn't exactly the cleanest person ever.
The next summer a friend and I got our first apartment. We were so excited about this place, and looking back, good gravy it was awful. We thought it had "potential". Ah, stars in our eyes I tell ya. My Mom came to visit and later told me she cried on the way home. Partly because it was so terrible and partly because it was sad how excited we were about it. Well, one day when I was all alone a nasty little rat (mouse) ran out from our bedroom. Our bedroom! (Well we didn't sleep in there, it just housed our clothes, we slept on the couches. I have no idea.) Of course I screamed. And called my Mommy. I know she thought I was being murdered with the way I was screaming and crying. Scratch that, I was sobbing. At first my screams scared the mouse and he'd run away. But after a few times, he just got bolder and kept on coming closer despite my screams. Those people who tell you mice are more afraid of you than you are of them are liars. LIARS. Mice do not discriminate, they will come at you! So I did what any sane person does, I left and drove an hour and a half home to stay at my parents house and then called my roommate to tell her to stay away from our apartment because we were infested with mice. Thankfully she had a brave friend who came and set a trap for us. Lucky us he was a dumb mouse and when we came home that night he was in the trap and no longer twitching. But then there we were, 1am, what were we going to do with him? I wasn't going to touch him and neither was she. But we had nowhere else to go and we both had to go to work really early. I mean we couldn't just go to sleep staring at it though. So we tossed a paper plate, frisbee style, until we had it covered just right. It took a few tries, but we were successful at last. We were also delusional. And once again a man friend came to our rescue the next day to dispose of him.
So if you are still reading this I'm now on to the part of the story I intended to tell in the first place. The mouse stories-they could go on forever. Phil has been leading music at a lot of youth camps this summer and thankfully the kids and I have been able to tag along. This past Sunday we arrived and headed over to where they had us staying. It was a nice trailer tucked away from everything and suited us just fine. On Tuesday night we had just put the kids to bed really late and were sitting at the kitchen table. That's when it happened. I saw my husbands eyes looking directly behind me. And then I saw them get really big. And then I knew. He didn't have to say a word. After confirming there was indeed a mouse behind me, I said, "Well, we're just going to have to leave." And I was serious. It was nearly 11pm and we were a little over 2 hours away from home but I was packing up my babies and hittin the dusty trail. I tried to reason with myself for a second but quickly came to the conclusion that there was no way I could go to bed knowing this thing could be crawling across one of our faces in the night (it happened to my brother-in-law, so I know it can go down!). Poor Phil. I know he had no idea what to think. There I sat with tears in my eyes telling him I was leaving. So he helped me pack up and we were on the road by 11:20. Seriously. I hated leaving him behind (the kids and I were leaving the next day anyway!) but I have to say I'd still make the same choice today. He still thinks I'm crazy, but I still stand by my decision. I was protecting my babies, right? You know the ones who asked Daddy to find the mouse so they could see how cute he was? The ones who asked me over and over why I was afraid of a mouse, a harmless mouse? Yeah.
I thought about posting a mouse picture to really drive home the story here, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Those beady eyes, that smooshy body, and that rat tail, ugh. Can't do it.
Am I the only mouse hater in the building? Please tell me I'm not alone!

5 comments:

Kate said...

I'm with you on the hatin'!

Jessica said...

I read it again...and still laughed so hard that I cried. Ahhh...memories :)

i'm beccy. said...

Oh, this made me smile!!!! :o)

Marisa said...

This is so funny! I'm the same way about spiders!

Karen said...

Well the apple doesn't fall to far from the tree. Sorry baby that I wasn't a fearless pioneer woman.I did fight them off when my babies were under my roof, now I just recoil into a fetal position & cover up my head!!!