Wednesday, January 19, 2011

mexican pizza

I purchased this cookbook quite a long time ago and cooked several things shortly thereafter.  Everything I made was good, I just put it in my cook book basket and kind of forgot about it.  I find myself often cooking recipes I find online and neglect my dusty books.  I finally dragged all of them out 2 weeks ago and did a little scouring.  I found a recipe for mexican pizza in this cookbook and it is sooo delish!  It's a meatless meal, but you could easily add a little grilled chicken on top if you wish.  I just made it for the second time in a week last night and changed up the toppings a bit.  The possibilities are endless!

Ingredients:
2 garlic cloves (I always add more because I'm in love w/garlic)
2 T coarsely chopped cilantro (I always add more because I'm also in love w/cilantro)
1 can black beans drained and rinsed
1 t. ground cumin
1 prebaked pizza crust (I used the pillsbury one from the refrigerated section and prebake it, but you could also get one from your fave pizza place)
1/3 c. salsa
1 1/2 c. shredded cheese  (monterey jack, cheddar, whatev)
Topping options:  olives (gag), chopped red or green pepper, chopped green onion, roasted corn (LOVE this from Trader Joe's), or anything else your lil heart desires.

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425.  In a food processor or blender combine the garlic and cilantro and pulse until chopped.  Add the beans and cumin and process until pureed.  Spread evenly over the crust.  Spread salsa over the top.  Scatter with cheese and toppings.  Bake for 15-20 min, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.


Now I'm starving.

2 comments:

jenny said...

Yum! Between this and the recipes we discussed the other night I am compiling my list of ingredients to make all these tasty things! Last night I made a new Southwest Chicken and Rice Bake that was really tasty...gonna post that and the tortilla soup I was telling you about to my blog soon.

Kate said...

Would you believe I pulled that cookbook out last night and was reminded of how many great things are in it?! They are now on the menu plan for the coming weeks. And this pizza--it's game day food for Sunday! Thanks for reminding me about this one!