Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Summer Salsa

I have nary met a dip I didn't like.  I just love to dip things.  I also love me some chips and salsa.  I love all kinds of salsa, I don't discriminate.  Unless it's really bad.  Like when we went to our fave mexican place recently and the salsa was apparently prepared by someone who had lost all their senses.  It had no cilantro and no onion.  No cilantro and no onion.  (It beared repeating)  Unacceptable.  
This brings me to one of my favorites...the Summer Salsa.  I found it through melskitchencafe (a fabulous resource!) and it is totally delightful.  I may have even blogged about it before, but I'm too lazy to dig through archives.  But it just shows that if you still haven't made it, you crazy.  

Here you go:

1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed well
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained well
½ medium onion finely diced (about 1/3 cup)
½ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 (7 oz.) can salsa verde (I used Herdez brand)
Juice of 1 lime
½ teaspoon cumin
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all of the ingredients together in a medium bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let the salsa marinate for a few hours (or overnight before serving). Drain most of the liquid from the salsa before serving (optional). Serve with tortilla chips.


Here's what it looks like just stirred:

Just a quick taste test...

 My batch is crazy flavorful today.  My onion was so strong I thought I might never recover from the flowing tears as I chopped.  Red onion doesn't usually get me like that, but good gravy I was beside myself today.  Also my lime was probably the juiciest I've ever seen.  I don't usually drain the liquid before serving, but I might have to this time!
In other news, sister just brought me this:
Adorable.  It's hotter than blue blazes out there so we're trying to entertain ourselves indoors if at all possible.  I mean, unless you're immersed in water,  you can't stand the out of doors.  She's learning how to write a lot of words, but it cracks me up how the order doesn't necessarily matter right now.  Aren't little kid drawings the best?!  Oh, and Maya and her Daddy are not in jail, she just likes the paper to have some pizzazz.  So she often asks if you want your background striped, polka dot, or plaid.  Love my girl!

2 comments:

Kate said...

that is the best salsa ever! made a batch and we devoured it this weekend!

and love maya's artwork, too!

Marisa said...

I'm gonna have to try that salsa. Ive never seen a recipe call for salsa verde, but it looks delish!

Love Mya's art. I've been meaning to post some of Lydia's because it makes me smile every time I look at it. I think she's going to be my creative one!