I've had a lot of people asking me recently what we're doing for school this year. And if we're ready.
Um, can you ever be 100% ready until you just go for it and see what happens? Oh, maybe it's just me then! I kinda always feel like people say it with a foreboding tone, like dun dun dun...are you SURE you want to do this?! It makes me laugh. Do I doubt myself sometimes? Wonder if I can really give my kids a great education? Of course! A lot, actually. But I also believe those are lies. I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength! And I really count it a MASSIVE privilege to be able to experience these young years with my children and teach them in the way they should go. I wouldn't give up witnessing these firsts for anything, folks. Really. Truly. It's a joy! I am not mother of the year, I am not a crazy organized person, I'm not a wild go-getter. But like I said, I believe I can do this because I abide in Him. And He's awesome.
I first started homeschooling when Gibson was 3, so this isn't our first go-round. I know, it was just preschool, but I was lesson planning and we were learning. It was very low key and low pressure. Just the way I think it should be at that age. But he was interested, so we did it. This year he will be starting "first grade" and Maya "kindergarten". I put quotes around them because we'll just be moving as they're ready, and not really just sticking to a grade level. I thought I'd list out our curriculum here, both as a resource for others, and just for us to keep track from year to year. And I also would love people to see that homeschooling can be affordable, so I'll list out the price. Keep in mind this total will be for 2 children.
1. Bible: Daily devotional and some study books that we already have. Free
2. Core (language arts, math, social studies, science): Time 4 Learning. This is an on-line program and is a monthly subscription of 19.95 for your first child, and 14.95 for a second. So roughly $35 a month for both children. We will be schooling 8 months out of the year (roughly), so that's $280 for the year for two kids. I have quite a few reasons for choosing this, but I won't go on and on here. If you would like to talk more about it let me know!
3. Handwriting and Spelling: A Reason For. It was actually cheaper to order it on amazon, so I got a teacher book for spelling, a student book for spelling, and two different levels of handwriting student books for $65 and free shipping.
4. Art: The World's Greatest Artists. The books for this study are available through our library, so the cost for us will be free.
5. PE: Family Time Fitness. It is a one time purchase of $77. It has 365 lessons with it, which will probably last us a good 2 years. And then we can start all over again! So this is a great deal. It has good ideas so you don't have to think it up yourself. Worth it.
6. Spanish: Speekee. It is an online subscription for $7.50 a month. For one school year that works out to be $60 for two kids. We'll eventually do something like Rosetta Stone, but this is a great place to start with young children.
So that is that. We are excited to start and it's less than 2 weeks away! If we start some of these things and just don't love them, I will keep you posted!